I KNOW A COUNTRY by Odunjo Azeez

I know a country wherein
Living under the gun, sleeping
With the two eyes widely opened
Are tagged as elements of Independence.

I know a country wherein
The thrones are adorned with thorns and throes
To scare off, the harmless coteries and honchos
From eyeing the true beauty that lies beneath.

I know a country wherein
Helpless hearts humbly hug hardship,
Many mouths are sworn enemies to comestibles,
Several souls are tied to the tree of torture.

I know a country wherein
Brilliant encephalons are left to plummet
Like water contained in a leaking bucket,
And the top seats are reserved for the dull minds.

I know a country wherein
Patience itself is at the end of its rope,
Dashing into the thin air, are the traces of hope
That have once found homes in the minds of the citizenry.

I know a country wherein
Heads, with pride, put on crown of poverty
And with rue, wear make-ups of fake happiness
And the only rule is to follow no rules.

I know a country wherein
The suits her citizens wear are NIGERIANS
A country of the confused and educated illiterates
To whom, celebrating hardship equates to celebrating INDEPENDENCE.

™Odunjo Azeez
©® Al-Imran
Oct. 1st, 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outcry As Federal Universities Reject NECO Results For Admission

My throne doesn't affected with Kingship case transfer to Osun - Salu of Edunabon

There's urgent need to rebrand Nigeria Immigration service for structural responsibilities- Sociologist